Pages

Thursday, July 3, 2014

G.R.L. - "Ugly Heart" MV

On Tuesday, G.R.L. released their second music video, "Ugly Heart".



The song is okay. The chorus is catchy, but musically I feel like I've heard this song before. The vocals sound good as well, but for some reason I seriously doubt that they would sound that good live. I kind of like the lyrics; I do enjoy hearing a song where a girl realizes that the inside is more important than appearances, and acts on that knowledge, instead of the "Oh you're so bad for me but you're so hot I don't wanna leave you!" crap that I've heard too many times before. I like that it's a more playful breakup song as well.

As for the video... bleh. The plot of the video basically features the girls getting arrested. For what? No one knows. And the setting has literally nothing to do with the song. My theory is that the producers thought having them be arrested would give them some sort of "cool" bad girl image. The worst part is the close-up shots at the bridge; I have a feeling most guys aren't watching the girl doing the close-up.

So basically G.R.L. proves in this video that they bring nothing new to the industry. It's the same catchy yet at the same time boring pop that can be sung by any other female artist. They're only purpose here is to look sexy for their male fans.

I don't know why I didn't expect this before, since they're created by Robin Antin, who's known for groups like this (think Pussycat Dolls, Girlicious, etc.). But I really wanted them to be consistently good, since "Vacation" is some of the catchiest crap I've ever heard, and their dancing looked really good and fun. But with "Ugly Heart", my expectations have dropped.

Will I stop listening to them? No, not yet. Will I ever buy anything of theirs? Highly doubt it.

I can't wait for Fifth Harmony to make their comeback and show these grls how it's done. #BO$$

No comments:

Post a Comment