Pages

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Finding the Magic

For a long time this blog has been basically nameless. At first I was fine with this, because the simple "Shayna" at the top pretty much described the theme of my blog. But now it's time for a change…

I started this blog over a year ago as just a place for me to vent and share whatever I felt like talking about. I knew that no one really cared much about what I had to say most of the time, so I just said whatever was on my mind. And then the impossible happened: people started reading it. Oh, it wasn't a lot, and it's still not, but it was enough to make me realize that maybe this blog could be something more if I really put some effort into it.

For the past several months I've been asking myself questions like, "What kind of blog do I want to run?" and "What do I want to achieve by blogging?" Because, while writing depending on my mood was fun for a while, I began to grow bored with the lack of theme. Despite all this soul-searching, I couldn't come up with a single name for my blog. Normally when I'm stuck, I can at least come up with something awkward and cheesy as a placeholder, but I had literally nothing.

In my room, I have a very large collection of notebooks that I've acquired throughout the years, big and small. I use them for things like story- and song-writing, journaling, or just scribbling a quick to-do list. A couple of years ago, I was given a simple pink spiral notebook. Nothing particularly special about it, but this notebook became my new diary, and while I had tried to keep a journal before, I normal quit doing it regularly after about a month or even less sometimes. However, last fall, a very bad time for me emotionally, this diary became the only thing I had to talk to. I would be here all day if I told the whole story, but in short, this diary now means a lot to me. It is my most prized possession and I don't know what I would do if I ever lost it.

On the front of that notebook are the words "Find the magic in everything."

One day, when I was just looking at it, I realized that's what it's all about. It may just be a silly phrase from a cheap notebook, but I think it describes me quite well. I want to look for the positive in everything and everyone. Not that I'm a total optimist, but I like to be happy, and I like to look at the big picture of things and see how magical it is that everything in life just fits together so perfectly.

I think it describes my blog, too, in a way. I like to search through different groups and songs and find what I like and share what I like. Plus, since part of my blog is focused on magical girls, well… there's the magic right there!

So today I am officially renaming my blog Finding the Magic. I think it's cute and girly and adventurous and almost everything I want my blog to be.

Also, today I want to make it clear that my main focuses will officially be girl groups (from all countries) and magical girls (ditto). There's a lot I want to do with these concepts, and a lot of ideas that I have in mind, but I'm reminding myself to take it one step at a time for now. Today's step is the name, and a new layout.

The URL will stay the same, because, well... I like it. It may move eventually, but for now you can always find me at himynameisshayna. ;)

I love you all!

<3 Shayna

No comments:

Post a Comment