Pages

Friday, December 21, 2012

Morning Musume Needs Your Help!! - "Help me!!" Dance Shot


Morning Musume has released the dance shot for their upcoming single "Help me!!", the debut of the 11th Generation.

This song combines the new electronic dance sound of Morning Musume with the more familiar sound that Hello! Project fans might recognize from album songs. Similar to their previous two singles, they have decided to release the dance shot before the regular music video. Personally I don't think this is a good idea as it tends to lower the views that the regular MV gets, but I'm sure many fans are happy to have a sneak peek. With Morning Musume having a stronger focus on choreography lately, releasing the dance shot is a good way to get fans excited.

While the choreography isn't as strong as something you'd see from a group like Fairies, it is pretty impressive as it's very eye-catching and makes you want to pay close attention to every move. The fast movements in the intro invite you to dance along, and the unique formations allow you to focus on all the members. Following the intro, the girls move low to the ground, which combined with the quiet vocals gives a bit of a sneaky and mysterious feel. Near the chorus, we get to see our new member, Oda Sakura, shine with great vocals and all the members dancing around her.

What really makes this dance shot is the backgrounds in the city. Though it starts out dark, with only the enormous moon lighting the area, the lights all burst out in neon colors to give an energetic start to the chorus.

The outfits are quite interesting as well. Leopard print on top of hot pink tutus, and every member has a unique hair piece, with Kudo Haruka's sideways cap probably being the most memorable.

The only thing I don't like about this dance shot is that it's clearly edited, and the random "jump" in footage can get pretty annoying. Of course, this is a minor complaint when you're enjoying everything the video has to offer.

Fans can only hope that this will not be another let-down like the overly-sparkly "One Two Three" or the finished "Wakuteka Take a chance" that was worse than the temporary version (which is exactly why I didn't review it). But if my observations are correct, I think we'll be getting a more fair line distribution and screen time in the future. 2013 will definitely be an interesting year for Morning Musume!

2 comments:

  1. I love the dance shot! I really like how synchronised they are at dancing to this choreography. Although it’s not my favourite dance (I favour OTT more but this is definitely better than WTaC), I did like it overall. I did find it hard to tell Sakura and Erina apart dancing at some points so Sakura’s solo spotlight was a bit confusing for me. Loved Mizuki’s parts, girl is flawless and gorgeous.

    Still don’t like the skirts but I guess the pink is not that bad. The background effects doesn’t even bother me at all, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mizuki's parts were amazing. I was so happy to see her getting REAL parts this time, instead of constantly being paired with Sayumi. And she looks great in the center.

      Delete