Pages

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Girls' Generation Goes Back in Time...5 Years

Girls' Generation, my second Kpop group, will always hold a special place in my heart because of their song "Gee". That song just wouldn't stop showing up in my recommended videos on YouTube, and that's why I'm a Kpop fan today.

Well, get ready for a bit of nostalgia, as they take us back in time a full five years in their newest video, "Dancing Queen".

Honestly, I thought when they pulled out that time machine they would go back to like the 80's. Not that you could blame me, since I actually was pretty convinced it would be a cover of the ABBA song (technically from the 70's). Well, I was partially right, because it was a cover. A cover of... Duffy's "Mercy"? ...what?

This is the last song I would ever imagine Girls' Generation covering. The vocals are great, but it's just not the same.

According to some comments, this was actually filmed back in 2008, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was. If it wasn't, then whoever did their hair/makeup is pretty talented.

The whole video is reminiscent of "Gee", especially with the dance scenes with the jeans, white t-shirts, and white background. The café scenes remind me more of the Japanese version.

At the end of the video, they transport back to the future/present (2013) and reveal their outfits for their upcoming single "I Got a Boy". Personally, I think these outfits are quite ugly and overly complicated. What happened to Girls' Generation, anyway? They're definitely not the same girls as the ones who sang "Into the New World". It's not that I hate the new GG, I just liked them best before last year.

Back to "Dancing Queen", there's not much to say about this song since it's a cover, and the video looks exactly like something we would've seen in 2008. But hey, I'm not complaining. At least we got a Korean song in 2012!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad they came out with Gee instead of this. VERY GLAD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with you on that one. It's not that DQ is bad, but what would Kpop be without "Gee"? :)

      Delete