Pages

Monday, December 17, 2012

"Orion" (KARA) Review



It's been a while since I have done a review, so let's do a review for a new music video! Due to some issues I've been having with YouTube, you'll have to excuse the fact that there are no screen shots.

Today KARA released their PV for the B-side of their latest single "Electric Boy" (another song I was going to review but never got around to it). Of course when I saw a screenshot for the PV, I assumed "Oh, this will just be another incredibly boring sad song music video." And in a way, it does have a few of the ingredients for a mundane, forgettable video: sitting around, looking sad (yet pretty at the same time), slow motion "acting" scenes; and yet, I found this video totally captivating.

The song is a bit typical, but I'm sure after a few listens it will grow on me. In fact, it was actually a bit hard to pay attention to the song because I was distracted by the sheer beauty of the video:

In the first half of the video, KARA keeps it basic with beige and white filling the room. This simple beauty actually interests me, as I wonder how it will be used in the video. I think simplicity often allows you to pay attention to the intention behind the song and video, and really become absorbed in the story.

If I understand the lyrics correctly, the girl in the song is missing someone, wanting to tell him she loves him. As Hara peeks through the telescope, she sees the constellation Orion, hoping that he'll see it, too. (Okay, well she probably can't actually see anything since there's light coming through the window, but you get the point.)

I love their outfits in these scenes, with the beige and pink looking lovely and calming together. But the real beauty is in the next scene, in a white and silver sort of winter wonderland where they wear gorgeous long gowns: some sparkly, some frilly, all totally regal. The best of all is Gyuri's dark blue dress. I mean, it's just absolutely perfect, from head to toe.

Somehow, KARA always manages to look perfect in all of their videos. Hair, make-up, outfits; everything is flawless, and I think this visual appeal is really what captivates me in videos like this. Very simple, yet elegant at the same time.

The only part of the video I didn't care for is the crying at the end of the video. I don't care how heart-wrenching the song is, I just can't stand to see people cry in videos. (There are a few exceptions, but not many, I think.)

Of course I didn't expect this to be a monumental video, as it's just for a B-side, but I think that they did a good job with it; I don't feel like it was time wasted for a pointless PV, you know?

I hope you enjoyed my review! I'll continue to work to improve my writing skills, and I hope you continue reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment